Thursday, February 11, 2010

What to do with leftover potato salad?

I love potato salad.  It reminds me of summer fun and church picnics.  I think when you eat it in Winter, it's an automatic mood lifter because it reminds you of sunnier, warmer days.  However, there's only so many times you can eat leftover potato salad before you say, "Blah, potato salad again!"  Today when I looked in our fridge and saw our leftover potato salad, that's exactly what I said to myself, so I decided to do something with it.  This recipe is really fast to put together.  I think it took me 15 minutes, and that included a 2 minute break to bandage myself up when I grated my thumb.  It was also easy to clean up my mess since everything goes into one pan- this will make Andy happy since he's our official kitchen cleaner!

Ham and Potato Casserole

Ingredients:
1 Cup Potato Salad
1 1/2 Cups Cubed Ham
2 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
3/4 Cup Water
1 Cup Chopped Carrots (about 30 baby carrots)
1 TBSP Dried Onions
1 Box AuGratin Potatoes (I used Betty Crocker)
1 Cup Shredded Cheese (I used 1/2 cup of mozzerlla and 1/2 Cup of Colby)

Preheat oven to 35o degrees.  Spray a 9" or 10" glass, pie pan.  Crush dried potato rounds from augratin potatoes into smaller pieces.  Mix first 8 ingredients together, including spice packet from augratin potatoes.  Pour in 1/2 cup of the cheese and mix.  Next put the mixture into the pie pan.  Bake for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, lightly stir mixture so liquid is equally dispersed.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.  Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.  When finished, cheese will be completly melted on top, and the edges and bottom will start to turn light brown.

1 comment:

Rozema Family said...

Okay dear! We made this with left-over mashed potatoes. . .PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!!! It was very good!