Saturday, February 6, 2010

Another what to do with leftover birthday cake...

I promise this is my last birthday cake recipe for a while, at least until April when Celia turns 4.  I successfully used up all of our leftover birthday cake with this recipe.  Now, in general, I am not a baker.  I have every intention of baking cookies or cakes and breads, but it never happens.  I don't like to follow recipes and if I make cookies  my second batch always burns because I forget about them in the oven.  Well tonight I baked!  I made up my own recipe and since it was a cheese/custard cake, there wasn't a second batch to burn.  The pie turned out absolutely fabulous and it was really easy and fast to make.  I hope you enjoy making it and serving it as much as I did.


Birthday Cake Pie


Ingredients:
For the crust:
2 1/2 Cups Cake (mashed)
1 Stick Butter or Margarine


For the filling:
1- 8oz box Neufchatel or Cream Cheese (room temperature)
2/3 Cup Sugar
2/3 Cup Sour Cream
3 Eggs
1/3 Cup Mayo
1/2 tsp Vanilla


Smash up birthday cake with icing until crumbly.  You need to have 2 1/2 cups after you finish mashing it up, not before.  If your icing is pink and blue, your crust will have a bit of a grey tint- don't worry, it will still taste delicious!  Melt margarine in the microwave completely, then mix in with cake.  Spray a 9 and 1/2 inch glass pie pan (or a larger one) with PAM.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Smash cake mixture into bottom of pie pan, spreading it out all over the bottom of the pan.  Put in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.  The crust will puff up and start to turn light brown.  Take it out at this point.


While the crust is baking, make the filling.  Pour all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Beat with your mixer until it is a creamy, airy mixture.  It is okay if there are a couple of lumps from the cream cheese left.  Pour the mixture into your pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for around 35 minutes.  It is finished when the center no longer jiggles and the edges and bottom have turned light brown.  Take out of the oven and let cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one was good!