Sunday, February 14, 2010

What to do with a leftover cucumber and green pepper?

We are blessed with wonderful neighbors.  We live in a quiet, little neighborhood and we have become good friends with the neighbors on all our sides and across the street.  So, the other day on our snow day, our neighbor Marty brought us a bag of groceries because they were going out of town.  I love when people give us food.  It's always different from what I would buy and gives me new ideas for recipes.  In the bag was half a cucumber.  Normally I would just cut it up because Celia loves to eat cucumber slices, but instead I made a sweet bean salad with it.  The good thing about this salad is that it tastes better the second day after marinating in the fridge overnight.


Sweet Bean Salad
Ingredients:
1/2 Large Green Pepper Chopped
1 Large Cucumber Chopped
15 Baby Carrots Chopped
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped (add more, if you like onions a lot)
1 Can of Beans (I used small white ones)
2 TBSP Sugar
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar
Salt
Pepper

In a large bowl, mix together green peppers, cucumbers, carrots, onions and beans.  In a separate bowl make dressing.   Whisk together sugar, olive oil, and vinegar.  Pour over veggie mixture.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  I was very generous with both. 

No comments: