Friday, February 12, 2010

What to do with leftover Brandy and Wine?

Okay, I know people don't actually have leftover brandy, but you might have some leftover wine!  I love mixed drinks; the fruity and fru fruer, the better.  My favorite fru fru fruity drink is Sangria.  The first time I ever had Sangria was on our honeymoon.  We went to dinner at an excellent Cuban restaurant in Miami and ordered a pitcher of Sangria.  It was delicious!  Since then I've tried Sangria at several different restaurants, but it never is as good as it was at that Cuban restaurant.  Because of that, I decided I was going to figure out how to make it myself.  Since then it's been my signature drink.  I make it for parties and get-togethers all of the time.  Tonight I made it for our church progressive dinner for Valentine's Day.  It's so easy to make and it costs less to make a pitcher at home than it does for two glasses at a restaurant.  The good thing about this recipe is that it's flexible.  You can use any kind of wine, no matter the cost, and any type of frozen fruit.  It always tastes good.  My favorite combination is a white wine and a bag of tropical fruit.  Mmmm, instant vacation.

Sangria
Ingredients:
1 Bottle of Wine (or the equivalent- I often use two half bottles if I have some open.  One time I even used champagne)
1 Cup of Sugar
3 Shots of Brandy
A little more than 1/2 of a 32 oz Bag of Frozen Fruit
2 Cans Sprite or 7-Up

Pour wine, sugar, brandy and frozen fruit into a large pitcher.  Put in the refrigerator overnight or for several hours.  Before serving, pour soda into the pitcher and stir. 

1 comment:

ckeen said...

I love, love, love that you posted this one! I adore the Sangria that you make Andrea!! Now to find the right excuse to make it....hmmm...tomorrow's Monday, that seems good enough!