Friday, April 16, 2010

What to do with Ricotta Cheese and French Onion Dip?

I think when you have children, your idea of relaxation changes.  At least this is what has happened to me.  Before children, to relax, I used to sleep in late, watch movies, get a pedicure, go out to eat, even go on vacation.  All of this has changed!  Today to relax, I'll drink a diet pepsi on the back porch while Andy gives the kids a bath.  Or, I'll go get the mail, BY MYSELF :)  I like to walk around my house and look at plants I never would have noticed before I had children.  Anything for five minutes of quiet.  Instead of watching movies, we now watch episodes of shows on Hulu.  They don't take as long.  This applies to my cooking too- I'm always thinking fast and easy.  But I also want my cooking to be delicious, economical and kid friendly.  That's quite a list to fulfill for every meal, however this recipe fits it to a T.  Creamy Sausage and Potato Supper.  It's a one pot meal that I served with a side of strawberries.  It's healthy and delicious.  I hope you and your family love it!

Creamy Sausage and Potato Supper
Ingredients:
8 Small to Medium Sized Potatoes (I used 4 red and 4 russet)
25 Thin Stalks of Asparagus
1/2 Large Yellow Onion
3/4 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1/3 Cup French Onion Dip
1/2 Package of Cream Cheese
1/8 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1/3 Cup Vanilla Soymilk
1 Egg
1/8 Cup Flour
1 Package Smoked Sausage (I used turkey sausage)
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
3/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Dried Basil

1. Wash and cut potatoes into medium sized chunks (the same size you would use for potato salad.  Do not peel.  Put into a large soup pot.
2. Cut the bottom, tough part of the asparagus off.  Chop each stalk into 4 to 5 pieces.  Put into soup pot.
3. Chop onion and throw into pot too.  Cover vegetables with water and boil for ten minutes uncovered.   Turn off heat on stove.  Drain vegetables and put back into soup pot.
4. Add to the pot the ricotta cheese, French onion dip, parmesan cheese, soymilk, cream cheese, egg and flour.  Stir until creamy and smooth.  Turn stove back on at medium heat. 
6.  Chop sausage and add to the pot.  Also add garlic, salt and basil.  Cook for 15 more minutes covered.  Stir frequently so the bottom won't burn.  Let cool 5 minutes and serve.

No comments: