Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What to do with biscuits and cream cheese?


Check out What's for Leftovers on Facebook to get new recipe updates!


I love the weekends.  It's so fun to make my family new and interesting breakfast dishes.  This weekend I stuffed regular canned biscuits to make something different.  They must've been a big hit because a couple of hours later Celia came up to me and said she wanted some more of those biscuit balls.  Sadly, I had to tell her she had ate them all.  Next weekend I'm going to stuff the biscuits with ham and cheese.  I can't wait to see if everyone will like that version as much.  I was able to figure out the calories and fat for this dish.  Each biscuit has about 70 calories and 2 fat grams (I rounded up a bit), so you can enjoy more than one :)

**If you want to double this recipe, don't double the egg.  One egg is enough to dip two cans of biscuits in.  I used black currant jelly, but feel free to use any kind of jelly your family likes.  Or, stuff the biscuits with ham and cheddar cheese, or mushrooms and goat cheese if you want to get fancy.  The possibilities are endless, yet so easy to make! 

Black Currant Stuffed Biscuits
Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 Oz Cream Cheese (I used neufchatel cream cheese)
1 Tube Small Biscuits
1 Egg
Jelly (I used Black Currant Jelly)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray.
2. In  a small bowl, beat egg.
3. Cut cream cheese into the same number of small squares as your biscuits.  (My tube of biscuits had 10, so I cut my cheese into 10 small squares.)
4.  Put 2 biscuits between a piece of wax paper.  Roll them out flat with a rolling pin.  Put a piece of cream cheese in the middle of the biscuit.  Put a spoonfull of jelly (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) on top of cream cheese.  Roll biscuit up.  Then fold sides up to form a little ball.  See pictures of how to do this.  Try to close seam as tightly as possible so jelly doesn't ooze
out too much.
5. Dip biscuit into egg and put on baking sheet.  Follow steps 4 and 5 with rest of biscuits.
6. Bake biscuits for 9 to 10 minutes.  They will be golden brown when finished.

No comments: