Thursday, April 8, 2010

What to do with ham and grits?

Look for What's for Leftovers on Facebook to get regular recipe updates :)


Believe it or not, we made it to sunrise service on Easter.  We woke up with 5 minutes to spare, went in our pajamas and got to be part of a lovely service!  After, we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  I love the CB- what a great idea, shopping and eating!  Andy, for this very same reason, doesn't care for it very much.  We had an awesomly filling breakfast that included grits.  I am not a big fan of grits.  I know there are many ways you can fancy them up, but to me they taste like baby cereal.  I just don't get it.  However, I was bound and determined that our grits would not go to waste.  Two nights later, all of our grits were used up in this deliciously easy, stuffed corn bread.  I haven't seen Celia eat something so fast in a long time!  If you want to spice it up a bit, add a small can of green chiles on top of the ham.  Enjoy!

Stuffed Cornbread
Ingredients:
1 Box Cornbread Mix
3 Jumbo Eggs (or 4 medium eggs)
3/4 Cup Cooked Grits
1/2 Cup Milk
1 TBSP of Mayonnaise
4 Slices American Cheese (or 1/2 to 1 Cup Shredded Cheese)
1 Cup Chopped Ham


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together cornbread, eggs, grits, mayo and milk.  Make sure you break up your grits.
3. Spray a deep-dish pie pan with non-stick spray.
4. Pour half of batter into pie pan.  Lay cheese on top of batter.  Sprinkle ham on top of cheese.  Pour other half of batter on top of ham.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  When finished, the top should be golden and cracking, the bottom should be light brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was great with the variations because I didn't have everything. I didn't have any grits, so I didn't add any. Used chicken instead of ham, and used shredded cheese. It was delicious! I would recommend adding salsa or green chiles.