Thursday, January 21, 2010

What to do with left over pork steaks and turnips?

My dad owns his own business and has made friends with people who regularly come into "the shop". One of these customers is a farmer. He brings my dad boxes of fruits and vegetables and my dad hands them out to us, his family and friends. This is how I came to be the proud owner of about 15 turnips. I have quietly been adding them to all kinds of dishes: quiche, apples and tonight chili! Nobody ever notices. To make the chili extra special, I also used some left over pork steaks. It was a hit- my husband ate two bowls. I'm sending the rest of it to "the shop" tomorrow for lunch. Hopefully they'll like it just as much as Andy.

When cooking, I don't always use measuring spoons and cups. I'm definitely an eye-baller and a taste and add more kind of person. From now on, I'll be more diligent about measuring how much of everything I add.

Ingredients:
3 to 4 Leftover Pork Steaks cut up in small pieces
1/2 Green Pepper Chopped
1/2 Large Red Onion Chopped
1 Can Black Beans
1 Can Chili Beans
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Cup Water
1 Turnip chopped into very small pieces (Optional)
1/2 Cup Spaghetti Sauce
1/4 Cup of BBQ Sauce
1 TBSP of Minced Garlic
1 TBSP of Taco Seasoning
2 Packs Taco Bell Mild Sauce
Chili Powder to taste
Ground Cumin to taste
Dried Cilantro to taste
Salt to taste

Shredded Cheese (I used Colby)
Tortilla Chips (Mine were stale, so I heated them up in the oven to crunch them up.)

Mix all ingredients except shredded cheese and tortilla chips in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours. You will want to make sure that the turnips, green peppers, and onions are cooked thoroughly. If you would like your chili thicker, take out 1/2 cup of the liquid after everything's finished cooking. Mix it together with 1/4 cup of flour to make a paste. Pour this paste into the chili, let it cook until it thickens up.

Top each bowl off with tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Enjoy!

No comments: