Thursday, January 28, 2010

What to do with an extra loaf of bread?

I love grilled cheese.  They are one of my comfort foods.  It reminds me of my childhood when my mama would make me fried bologna grilled cheese sandwiches.  I think I used to even dip these in ketchup.  Tonight I made my family a variation of these, but I used ham (Do people even buy bologna anymore?), and made the sandwiches French toast style.  It turned out to be a great variation of an old favorite.  Of course, I cut them into four small triangles for my kiddos, just like my mama used to do when I was little. 


French-Toast Style Grilled Cheese


Ingredients:


5 Eggs
3/8 Cup Milk
2 tsp Spinach Dip Seasonings (the kind that comes in little packets to make a dip- mine was a PartyLite packet)
8 Slices of Colby Cheese
16 Slices of Deli Stye Honey Ham
8 Slices of Bread


Whisk eggs and milk together until creamy.  Add 1 tsp of Spinach dip seasoning and stir until mixed in.  Heat a large frying pan or griddle and spray with pam.  Dip both sides of a slice of bread in egg mixture and put in pan.  Dip another slice in the egg mixture and put in pan.  Flip the first slice when browned like French toast.  Add a slice of cheese, two slices of ham and then another slice of cheese to this slice of bread.  When the second slice of bread is browned, flip cooked side onto cheese (like a sandwich).  Finish cooking the second side of the first slice, then turn entire sandwich over to cook the last side.  Made sure both sides are browned like French toast and cheese is melted before taking off heat.  Repeat to make the second sandwich.  Before making the third sandwich, add 1 more tsp of Spinach dip seasoning to egg mixture.  Mix in and continue making the third and fourth sandwich.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm going to make these for my hubby for Valentine's day! When I mentioned them to him he was very, very excited. :)