Friday, January 22, 2010

What to do with blue cheese and cabbage..

You're probably asking yourself who has leftover blue cheese, well we do. And like so many other things in my life, it was given to me. My mom works as a secretary at a rectory. One of the priests had a party and served a cheese tray. The priest gave my mom all of the leftover cheeses, who in turn gave it to us. I've been meaning to use it and tonight was the night. We're having chilidogs with the leftover chili from last night, so I made coleslaw to go with it. While I initially set out to make Blue Cheese Coleslaw, it turned more into Blue Cheese/Ranch Cole Slaw when my little helper, Charlie, dumped half of the bottle of Ranch into the slaw when my back was turned. I've taken some of the ranch out of my recipe so it won't be so Ranchy (is that a word?).


Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

Ingredients
1/2 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup Ranch
1/4 Cup Parmesean Cheese
1/3 Cup Blue Cheese
1/4 Cup Honey
3 Splashes White Wine Vinegar
1/8 tsp Celery Powder
1/8 Cup Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
Pinch of Salt

16 oz Bag of Cole Slaw Mix or 16 oz of Chopped up Cabbage
1/2 Cup of Bacon
1/4 Cup of Sunflower Seeds

Mix together the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl until creamy. Slowly pour cabbage into bowl, mixing as you go along. If your cole slaw is too dry, add a bit of milk until it reaches the consistency you like (I didn't have to do this because we have a ton of ranch mixed into ours! You might not have to do it either.). When finished, add bacon and mix in. Finally, sprinkle sunflower seeds on top for an extra crunchy treat.

No comments: