Thursday, March 4, 2010

What to do with leftover Cajun/Spanish Rice and Pork Roast?

Don't forget to stop by Facebook and become a fan of What's for Leftovers? to receive recipe updates!

I love to make soup for so many reasons!  First of all, soup is really easy to make.  Plus, you can get really creative with your soup.  When you're cooking soup, your whole house smells warm and delicious.  Also, you often only have to get one big pot dirty, so clean up is really easy.  Soup makes you feel comfy and cozy when you're eating it.  It reminds me of my home.  Sometimes I even make soup in the summer on a rainy day.  Soup is great!

Last Sunday I made my husband Cajun Rice (the recipe's posted on What's for Leftovers?), which we both loved.  However, the recipe made a really big batch and we had some leftover.  I was tired of bringing it for lunch and we had a chilly, wintery day on Tuesday (hopefullly one of our last ones) so I made it into a really tasty vegetable soup.  This is a recipe for 3-4 people.  If you have more people to feed, just double it, or get creative and add what you have on hand.  You can rarely go wrong with soup!


Tomato Vegetable Soup
Ingredients:
1 Cup Cajun or Spanish Rice
1 Cup Cooked Pork Roast
1 Can Tomato Soup
1 Package Frozen Stew Vegetables
1 Can Water (use the tomato soup can)

1. Put all ingredients in your slow cooker.  Cook on high for one hour. 
2. After one hour, pull out all the big chunks of veggies that were frozen (my carrots, potatoes and onions were huge!) and cut them up into bite-size pieces.  This step can be ommitted if your veggies are a good size.
3. Cook on low for another hour and a half to two hours.

No comments: