Thursday, March 11, 2010

What to do with ham and green peppers?

Who would have thought?  This is what I asked myself when our ham and chicken kabobs turned out absolutely delicious tonight!  I love ham, but I've never bar-b-qued it.  However, we have a lot of ham.  A couple of weeks ago, hams were on sale at our local grocery store and I bought a huge one!  It was so big that I cut it in half and froze half of it.  Earlier today, I took out some chicken to cook tonight, but my thighs didn't thaw out, only the two boneless breasts did.  Needless to say, when I went to make these Asian Kabobs for dinner tonight, I had to improvise.  Lucky for us and all our What's for Leftovers' readers, they turned out to be some of the best kabobs I have ever made!  Feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand.  I used our last turnip, which actually turned out to be really good as a kabob veggie.  I hope you can get out and enjoy the nice Spring weather and bbq these kabobs some time soon!

Asian Kabobs
Ingredients for the Kabobs:
1/2 Large Red Onion
1 Medium Yellow Onion
2 Green Peppers
2 Colored Peppers (I used red and yellow)
1 Turnip
2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Cut into Chunks
15 Large Chunks of Ham

1. Soak your kabob sticks in water so they won't catch on fire on the bbq pit.
2. Cut up vegetables and meat into large chunks.
3. Load up six kabobs sticks with the vegetables.  Load up four more with the meat, rotating ham and chicken. 

Ingredients for the Sauce:
1 Cup Red Sweet n' Sour Sauce
1 Cup BBQ Sauce
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 TBSP Minced, Refrigerated Garlic

1. Mix all ingredients together and divide into two bowls.
2. Baste both sides of veggies kabobs with sauce in one bowl.  If there is sauce left, pour over veggies.  Then baste both sides of meat kabobs with sauce in the other bowl.  If there is sauce left, pour over meat.
3. Cook kabobs on bbq grill over medium-low heat.  Make sure chicken is finished cooking before removing from heat.

No comments: