Sunday, March 7, 2010

What to do with leftover broccoli and potatoes?

Good Morning What's for Leftovers Readers!  We have had a very busy weekend.  Our children went out of town because Andy had to play the piano in our friends' wedding.  So needless to say, there was not a lot of time for leftover cooking.  Because of this, I made sure to make a dish last Thursday to post this Sunday.  It was a breakfast quiche for the guys at Andy's shop for lunch.  It was a big hit judging by the empty pie dish that came home with Andy that night.  Quiche filling is one of the easiest food items to prepare, but the crust, unless you use a store-bought one, is a little more time consuming.  Since I was in hurry, and I didn't have any ready-made pie crusts, I used baking potatoes as my crust.  This was so simple, plus it made the dish a little healthier.  I love to sneak vegetables in my recipes whenever I can!  Let me know if you have any questions.

Ham and Potato Quiche
Ingredients:
2 Medium Baking Potatoes
1 Cup Chopped Broccoli
1 Cup Diced Ham
1/4 Cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
1/3 Cup Mayonnaise
6 Eggs
1/3 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Colby Cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a glass bottom pie pan.
2. Peel baking potatoes.  Cut in half and thinly slice.  Layer potato slices on bottom of pie pan.
3. Layer chopped broccoli, ham, and bell peppers on top of potato slices.
4. In a blender or Magic Bullet, whip together mayo, eggs and milk until creamy and frothy.  When finished, gently pour over vegetables.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes add cheese to the top of the quiche and bake for another 15 minutes.  When finished, the bottom of the quiche should be light brown and the cheese should be completely melted and bubbly.





1 comment:

JK said...

I love this idea! Mom gave me a 10 lb bag of potatoes so I'm looking for recipes to use them up. I'll have to try this one.