Monday, May 10, 2010

What to do with plain yogurt?

A few weeks ago my co-worker gave me a bottle of creme fraiche.  I used it in several recipes I've posted on What's for Leftovers.  Creme fraiche is a creamier, richer, sour cream.  If you buy creme fraiche in the grocery store, it's a little pricey.  It costs more than its cousin sour cream.  However, you can make it at home quite easily for an extremely reduced price.  Here's the recipe Dawn shared with me.  Let me know how it works out.

If you're looking for a recipe to use your creme fraiche in, check out Stuffed Pasta in a Pork Sauce, Seafood Salad Melts and Tomato Basil Soup on What's for Leftovers.  You can also substitute sour cream for creme fraiche in any recipe.

Creme Fraiche
1 cup heavy whipping cream

2 tablespoons yogurt


1. Combine 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons yogurt in a glass container.
2. Cover and let stand at room temperature (about 70°F) for 8 to 24 hours, or until very thick. Shake your bottle periodically while it is sitting out. 
3. Stir well before covering and refrigerate up to 10 days.

No comments: