Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What to do with chocolate bunnies and peeps?

With Summer right around the corner, I decided it was probably time to get rid of the rest of our Easter candy.  After the kids get their baskets, I tend to hide a whole bunch of their candy for later and then we forget about it.  In our pantry, we had numerous boxes of peeps and chocolate bunnies they either had forgotten about or I had gotten rediculously cheap after Easter.  Andy's Granny makes an awesome crockpot fudge that I thought I could recreate with peeps and bunnies.  When you're making this candy, make sure you stir FREQUENTLY.  I only say this in caps because the first time I tried this recipe, I did not.  On Saturday I put all the ingredients into my crockpot and Celia and I went grocery shopping.  2 hours later, we came home to some very burnt candy.  We had to rush out to an engagement party, so I didn't get it thrown away until later.  Andy cleaned up the crockpot, but when we washed it in the dishwasher, there must've still been some burnt chocolate on it.  It proceeded to clog up our dishwasher.  I learned so many lessons in a short amout of time.  Needless to say, the 2nd time making this, I was much more cautious and they turned out delicious!

CrockPot Candy
Ingredients:
2 Cups Peanuts
1 Cup Chopped Pecans
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
4 Trays of Peeps
2 Chocolate Bunnies (1 of mine was a white chocolate one, so any kind will work)
1 Bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

1. Spray a slowcooker with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Pour peanuts, pecans, and chocolate chips into slowcooker.
3. Cut up peeps and chocolate bunnies.  Add these and peanut butter to slowcooker.
4. Cook on low for 45 to 60 minutes on low, STIRRING FREQUENTLY!
5. When chocolate and peeps are all melted together, turn off slowcooker.  Form chocolate into small balls or chunks and lay out on waxed paper.  Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.  Makes 35 to 45 pieces of candy.

No comments: