Thursday, May 3, 2012

What to do with zucchini...

I love zucchini!  Celia, Charlie, and Andy- not as much.  However, it is my goal in life (while this seems like a strange goal, it's true!) to get my family to eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible.  I strictly stick to the 5 to 9 a day rule and try to sneak them in as many meals and dishes as possible.  Last night for dinner I made these Zucchini Pancakes as a side dish.  I loved them!  In fact I ate them cold for lunch the next 2 days.  Charlie and Celia did not like them as much, but Celia did eat the batter before I cooked them and Charlie was impressed that they were green.  I think in general, it is an adult recipe, at least for our family.  They would be great served with Tzatziki sauce.






Zucchini Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 Small to Medium Zucchini
1/2 Cup Cooked Oatmeal (I used plain, but I think Apple Cinnamon would taste okay too)
1 TBSP French Onion Dip I(if you don't have this, use salad dressing)
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Chopped Green Peppers
2/3 Cup Flour
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp Curry Powder


1. Cook oatmeal in microwave following oatmeal directions.
2.. Chop Zucchini into large chunks.  Put into Magic Bullet, blender or food processor with dip, egg and green pepper.  Blend until at least semi-smooth.  Small bits of pepper or zucchini are okay.
3. In a bowl, mix together zucchini mixture, oatmeal, flour, sea salt and curry powder.
4. Heat a large skillet to med-high.  To cook mine, I used 2 TBSP of coconut oil, but olive oil would work as well.  When oil is hot, add scoops of batter to the pan.  Cook on each side 1 to 2 minutes until lightly browned.  Add more oil as needed.  Makes 10 - 12 pancakes.

No comments: