Sunday, April 15, 2012

What to do with leftover cole slaw...

Happy Sunday!  I recently discovered our local CSA.  For an incredibly reasonable price I got a huge bag of fruits and vegetables for our family from local farms.  I love that in the bag there are tons of kinds of fruits and vegetables that I wouldn't normally buy.  Here is a recipe using Kale.  I have never bought Kale in my life, but my children not only ate it, they loved it in this dish!  Plus, it's a great way to use leftover coleslaw.  I used a vinegar and oil based coleslaw, but I think a mayo based one will work as well, it will just be creamier.  

Kale with Bacon and Onions
4 Slices Bacon (ours was brown-sugar which added to the taste!)
1/2 Cup Chopped Red Onions
4 Cups Kale, torn and lightly packed
1 Cup Cole Slaw
1 Hard Boiled Egg
1 Large Pinch Sea Salt

Chop bacon into bite-sized pieces.  Throw into a large skillet and start sauteing.  Add chopped onions to the skillet.  Cook bacon and onions while washing and tearing the kale. Add kale to the skillet and stir.  Next add coleslaw and stir.  Chop hard boiled egg and add it to the skillet.  Sprinkle the sea salt on top and stir.  Cover and continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes until bacon is finished cooking, onions are translucent and kale has wilted completely.  Stir occasionally during this time. Serves 4 to 5.

No comments: