Friday, September 24, 2010

What to do with leftover spaghetti and fried okra?

My mom is semi-Southern, so, we grew up eating fried okra.  For us, it was a treat when my mom would take the time to cook this Southern delicacy.  Although, I have battered and fried okra by hand, I am lucky enough to be able to buy it in the grocery store.  I love it when it is on sale for $1 a bag.  While I think fried okra is simply delicious, I was very surprised to find out that my children aren't as thrilled about it (although they both tried it for me!).  With all this fried okra leftover, I seriously thought I might have to throw it out, but then I got to thinking.  I hid it in this Cajun Spaghetti that went over extremely well with my husband and father.  Enjoy the recipe, it's spaghetti with a twist!


Cajun Spaghetti
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Diced Onions
2 Celery Stalks, Chopped
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
2 Chorizo Sausage Links
1 Brat or Smoked Sausage
1/2 Cup Chopped Ham
1 Diced Tomato
1 Cup Fried Okra
I Can Diced Tomatoes
1 & 1/2 Cups Spaghetti Sauce
1 Cup Water
1 TBSP Creole Seasoning
4 Cups Cooked Pasta

1. In a large soup pot, saute diced onions, celery and minced garlic in a little olive oil for 5 minutes. 
2. When celery turns bright green add chorizo (decased and crumbled).  Cook for another 5 minutes.  Add smoked sausage, ham, tomato, fried okra, diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, water, and creole seasoning.  Simmer on  high for 10 minutes. 
3.  Turn to low and mix pasta in.  Cook until pasta is thoroughly heated.  Serves 6 people.

No comments: