Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What to do with coconut....

I don't normally buy coconut because I don't like the texture.  I love the taste, I love the smell, but not the texture.  My friend Kimberly gave me an extra bag of it to cook with and it's been sitting in my fridge for awhile, just waiting for inspiration to occur.  Lucky for us, it occurred last week in the form of a dessert recipe.  Growing up, my neighbor Cathy used to make us a dessert called dump cake.  This is a very easy pie/cobbler dessert where you just dump everything into a cake pan and bake.  I took that idea and used the coconut to make a cherry cream cobbler.  It is delicious and very simple to make.  It is a perfect summer dessert: fast, easy, and unforgetable :)


Cherry Cream Cobbler
Ingredients:
For the Crust:
1 Cup Almond Flour
1 and 1/2 Cups Pecan Meal
1 Cup Coconut
1 Stick of Butter


For the Filling:
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Can Cherry Pie Filling


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 11" deep dish baking pan. 
2. Take out 2 bowls.  In one, mix together almond flour, pecan meal, and coconut.  In the other, mix together milk and cherry pie filling.
3.  Spray pie pan.  Pour milk and cherry pie mixture on batter.  Spread out evenly.  Pour flour and coconut mixture on top.
4. Melt butter.  Drizzle over the top of the cobbler.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.  Top will be golden brown when finished.  Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments: